Thought we’d try something other than American or Asian cuisine today. Recipes followed:
- Tortilla Soup — not super authentic, but SUPER delicious! I added corn though the recipe doesn’t call for it.
- Salsa Verde — This served as the inspiration, but I had to adapt heavily (and I basically made it a basic salsa pictured in this post) since I couldn’t find the right ingredients in the store. But still good.
Cost breakdown (in rmb):
- 2 avocados (more than needed): 42.41
- 2 chicken breast: 12.54
- can of whole kernel corn: 10
- chicken broth: 17
- cilantro (more than needed): 0.91
- monterey jack cheese (more than needed): 29.9
- tomatoes: 8.5
- white onion: 4.41
- green onion (more than needed): 1.56
- green peppers (more than needed): 2.04
TOTAL: 129.27 ($18.92 USD)
We finished the mock tacos the first night, with extra pita bread to spare. The soup was enough for a nice bowl for breakfast the next day, and then I finished off most of the remaining ingredients to make another two huge bowls for dinner. Yum!
For more pictures from cooking this dinner, check out my flickr.